[tor-relays] Tor bridge on Amazon not doing much

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Fri Aug 2 02:37:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 14:11:38 -0700
"Shawn A. Miller" <salexandermiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been running a Tor bridge on the Amazon EC2 cloud computing
> platform (per instructions at https://cloud.torproject.org/) since
> July 27, and while the bridge is up and running according to the logs,
> there doesn't seem to be much traffic running through it, i.e., latest
> logs indicate Tor uptime is 2 days 12 hours with 2 circuits open; 6.6
> MB sent and 45.75 MB received. Have I somehow managed to misconfigure
> the bridge or is this normal?

First, thanks for running a bridge.  Second, this is normal. The
determining factor of how much traffic you receive as a bridge is
simply which bucket your bridge is placed in the BridgeDB. There are
multiple buckets, some served via HTTPS, SMTPS, XMPP, and reserve
buckets of bridges handed out by hand to trusted activists, or simply
kept in reserve in case of emergency.

There's no way a bridge operator knows which bucket you're in.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact