[tor-relays] Running exit-node in Germany

Matthias Redies rediesmatthias at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 1 15:05:33 UTC 2013

I guess that's a good point. I don' want my non-tor-related hardware
stuck with the police, because they can not encypt my harddrives. I
think I will just run a tor-relay und donate a little so someone else
can run an exit-node.

Am 01.08.13 16:36, schrieb Samuel Walker:
> An exit relay operator in Austria recently had their home raided by police after abuse from the
exit node IP,

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/10/tor_admin/
>
> I recall reading somewhere else that the police pointed out that even
if the abuse can from an IP address shared by a Tor exit node, they
still needed to check whether the abuse did come from Tor, rather than
another computer that was on the same internal networh (thus sharing the
public IP address). So, it's worth bearing in mind if you will be
sharing the same IP address with other computers in your home.

<rediesmatthias at yahoo.de <mailto:rediesmatthias at yahoo.de>> wrote:

>>     Luckly I have a fiber connection and a unused RaspberryPi. So
running an exit-node would be free for me. Can you describe the
encounter with the police? Did you just go to your local police station
oder did you call a special cybercriminality unit?

>>     What exactly was the 'hassle' when you ran an exit-node?
>>

>> This is for Singapore, but may provide you with a data point.
>>
>> I run a number of Tor nodes in Singapore.  The servers are hosted on
IPs that are registered to me in APNIC whois.

>> The Singapore Police has an active Cyber Crime division.  Singapore
Law is based in large part on English Law.

>> I am not sure if the investigation is ongoing, so I am leaving out
specifics.

>> I received, about 3 months ago, an email from a Police Officer.  It
was addressed to my address in the whois, and seemed to be written
assuming I was an ISP.  It cited a date and time range, an IP address,
and asked which customer was using the IP address at that time.  This
was in connection with "unathorised fund transfers".

>> I replied back explaining that the IP was in my control, and ran
TOR.  I provided a link to the TOR website, and that I did not have any
logs.

>> I got back a prompt response thanking me, and have heard nothing since.
>>
>> So it is possible that, as law enforcement gets better clued in to
Tor, they would be willing to let you go with dirty looks for making
their life harder, but not call down the SWAT team.

>> --
>> Sanjeev Gupta
>> +65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane

Matthias Redies