[tor-relays] Running exit-node in Germany

Matthias Redies rediesmatthias at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 1 14:03:10 UTC 2013

Luckly I have a fiber connection and a unused RaspberryPi. So running an
exit-node would be free for me. Can you describe the encounter with the
police? Did you just go to your local police station oder did you call a
special cybercriminality unit?

What exactly was the 'hassle' when you ran an exit-node?

Am 01.08.13 15:22, schrieb Eugen Leitl:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 02:33:17PM +0200, Matthias Redies wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to run an exit-node through mit home connection. Has anyone
> I wouldn't run a Tor exit at home, especially in Bavaria.
> The upstream is not worth it (unless you have fiber),
> and the hassle can be considerable. I recommend renting
> a root server or putting up your own hardware in a colo
> -- or, better, donate it to Torservers/Zwiebelfreunde e.V.
> so that they can pay people to run servers in sparsely
> covered areas of the world, e.g. Asia.
>
>> experience with running a Tor-Relay in Germany( Bavaria)?
> A Tor relay is a non-exit, and completely unproblematic
> but for potential traffic issues.
>
>> Are there known cases of police raids? Is there a list of lawyers which
>> work with the torproject which should be called in case of a raid? Has
>> anyone had sucsess with talking to the police prior to setting up the
>> exit-node? If so, to which departmed did you talk to?
> I've had a couple contacts with the local police when running
> an exit at home, where I came in with printouts of Tor exits
> which listed my node's IP, and explained how Tor worked using
> online description like https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
>
> You should contact http://www.zwiebelfreunde.de/ and CCC, imo.

Matthias Redies
Helene-Mayer-Ring 12