[tor-relays] Running exit-node in Germany

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Aug 1 13:22:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 02:33:17PM +0200, Matthias Redies wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to run an exit-node through mit home connection. Has anyone

I wouldn't run a Tor exit at home, especially in Bavaria.
The upstream is not worth it (unless you have fiber),
and the hassle can be considerable. I recommend renting
a root server or putting up your own hardware in a colo
-- or, better, donate it to Torservers/Zwiebelfreunde e.V.
so that they can pay people to run servers in sparsely
covered areas of the world, e.g. Asia.

> experience with running a Tor-Relay in Germany( Bavaria)?

A Tor relay is a non-exit, and completely unproblematic
but for potential traffic issues.

> Are there known cases of police raids? Is there a list of lawyers which
> work with the torproject which should be called in case of a raid? Has
> anyone had sucsess with talking to the police prior to setting up the
> exit-node? If so, to which departmed did you talk to?

I've had a couple contacts with the local police when running
an exit at home, where I came in with printouts of Tor exits
which listed my node's IP, and explained how Tor worked using
online description like https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

You should contact http://www.zwiebelfreunde.de/ and CCC, imo.