[tor-relays] Restart relay daily

peckman at hushmail.com peckman at hushmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:30:07 UTC 2013

Hi!

I am running a middle-man relay on a Raspberry Pi averaging 700 kBps. The board is very limited in processing power and memory. After some days, maybe a week, the Tor daemon runs out of memory and I have to start it manually again. I have tried different Tor versions, built alphas with and without the --enable-openbsd-malloc but it's no measurable difference; eventually a bad malloc will terminate the program.

To solve this I have added a cron job to restart the daemon on a daily basis. Is this an OK solution? Traffic-wise it takes around 30 minutes to get back to normal throughput but the alternative is long downtimes until I notice the crash. Will there be any problem with the directory interaction?

Relay info:
Fast Guard Named Running Stable V2Dir Valid
Tor 0.2.4.11-alpha

Kind Regards,
peckman