[tor-relays] What is "regular" traffic on an obfuscated bridge

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Apr 19 20:38:51 UTC 2013

On 19.04.2013 21:34, Torry Torah wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> After seeing the call to arm [1], I decided to spin up some 2 new obfuscated bridges.
> I am already running 2 (non-obf) bridges, and was about to boot 3 others.
>
> I'm seeing something like 4MB/day of traffic with those obf bridges, whereas the 2
> non-obf bridges show something like 10MB/sec. (

It takes a while for bridges to be distributed to users. Each bridge is
automatically selected to be in one "distribution pool", for example
email (bridges at bridges.torproject.org) or web (
https://bridges.torproject.org/ ). The traffic you see depends on what
kind of users learn about a specific bridge, and how often/intensively
they use it. So, it is quite natural to see different usage patterns
across different bridges -- especially when some have been around for a
while, while others are fairly new in the game.

> I've set up the 2 obf bridges 8 hours ago, give or take, maybe is it just a matter
> of insufficient uptime?

Some bridges don't see much use over weeks, and then suddenly it hits
them. Be prepared and keep them online! :)

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/