[tor-relays] A call to arms for obfuscated bridges

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Tue Apr 16 19:53:14 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:52pm, "George Kadianakis" <desnacked at riseup.net> said:
[snip]
> Looking into BridgeDB, we have 200 obfs2 bridges, but only 40 obfs3
> bridges: this means that we need more people running the new Python
> obfsproxy! Upgrading obfsproxy should be easy now, since we prepared
> new instructions and Debian/Ubuntu packages.
[snip]

Users running RHEL/CentOS need not apply.

obfs2 wouldn't build on RHEL5/CentOS5 due to the minimum autoconf version required to build it.  Fair enough, the 5.x series is pretty old in terms of package versions installed.

obfs3 won't build/run on RHEL6/CentOS6 due to the Python 2.7.x (plus many, many subpackages) requirement.  Replacing the installed Python v2.6.x will break your system.  Installing to an alternate location (download, ./configure, make altinstall) and editing /usr/bin/obfsproxy isn't enough as the subpackages are all still installed beneath /usr/lib/python2.6/.

Oh, and the "pip" referred to in the build instructions (https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy-instructions.html.en) is named "pip-python" in CentOS6.