[tor-relays] BitTorrent complaint

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Apr 12 09:12:28 UTC 2013

On 12.04.2013 11:00, bartels wrote:
>>> I don't see the legal issue, though. Maybe it is there, but I don't see
>>> how rejecting sites via Exit Policy ;) would trigger any one of  (1)
>>> through (5).
>> Yes, rejecting via exit policy should not, but direct
>> filtering/tampering via iptables might.
> How do you figure that? Where's the legal difference?

(2) the transmission, routing, provision of connections, or storage is
carried out through an automatic technical process without selection of
the material by the service provider

(5) the material is transmitted through the system or network without
modification of its content.

One could argue that dropping packets is "modification of content", as
well as "selection of material". By specifying an exit policy, you don't
get to see the data in the first place, so no modification or selection
happens.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/