[tor-relays] BitTorrent complaint

theo at caber.nl theo at caber.nl
Wed Apr 10 21:42:19 UTC 2013

Steve Snyder schreef op 2013-04-10 22:35:
> On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:42pm, "Jorge-Leon"
> <jorge-tor at magma.com.ni> said:
> [snip]
>> Oh! I too use the filter as in "BlockingBittorrent".
>>
>> I did not want to restrict my relay to the "ReducedExitPolicy".
>> Almost all
>> complaints were Bittorrent related.  So I hoped "BlockingBittorent"
>> would be
>> the right ting to do.
>>
>> - should the "BlockingBittorrent" recipe be changed in a way, that it
>> changes
>>     the exit policy of the relay instead of the firewall?
>>
>> - How to block torrents from ThePirateBay anyway?
>>
>> - Is there a way to block any bittorrent traffic?
>
> I would advise, again, just to use the Reduced Exit Policy.  I never
> get DCMA/copyright complaints.  Most of the complaints I get are due
> to morons port-scanning through Tor, or from webmail spamming.

It sounds very handy to use the Reduced Exit Policy. But if we _all_ do
that there will be too little exits for users who want to connect to
'strainge' ports. That way they get less anonyimity because they can't
choose from hundreds of exits.

In general it is best practice to block/reduce as little traffic as
possible. Than we can guarantee enough diversity for everyone, even
those people using exotic applications/protocols.

--
Theo Caber