[tor-relays] How to limit number of sockets used?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Apr 10 06:38:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:19:38PM -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
> I am running Tor v0.2.3.25 in a VPS that limits me to a max of 4096
> sockets in use.  How can I instruct Tor not to attempt to use more
> than this number?
>
> Yes, I know about ConstrainedSockets/ConstrainedSockSize, but the
> way I read these it limits the amount of memory used, not the socket
> count.
>
> Advice, please?  Thanks.

I believe there is no such feature currently.

How should it work? That is, which connections should it refuse?

Currently we assume that all relays are able to reach all other relays.
Otherwise we get into the situation where the network isn't a clique,
and anonymity analysis from path selection gets complex really quickly
("I saw the connection from that relay, so the hop before that couldn't
have been this other relay because there's no link, therefore ...")

--Roger