[tor-relays] BitTorrent complaint

bartels bartels at mailme.ath.cx
Tue Apr 9 16:04:53 UTC 2013

Forgive my ignorance, I am new to tor and learning.
On closer inspection, I find that bittorrent can run over the tor network, like any other traffic.
Personally, I cannot afford complaints and spend time on legal issues; however groundless they may be it is not what I do.

It leaves me with a question: how do the Paramount people know that my server carried their stuff?
Did they download it themselves, or do they have their own bittorrent servers?
They must be at either end, or am I mistaken?

Another thing is filtering on bittorrent. The tor site suggests a filter:
     https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/BlockingBittorrent

Looking at it, I find it slightly flawed, because of the port numbers.
Instead of using this:
     wget -qO- http://www.trackon.org/api/all | awk -F/ ' { print $3 }'

I would use:
     wget -qO- http://www.trackon.org/api/all | awk -F: '{ print $2 }' | awk -F/ ' { print $3 }'

It would explain why only most bittorrent traffic is blocked.
Can anybody confirm this? I don't want to be the newbie messing up someone else's wiki.

- Bartels