[tor-relays] big spike in cpu usage

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sat Apr 6 15:33:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:50:29 -0400
Owen Gunden <ogunden at phauna.org> wrote:

> This worked fine until recently. However, just today I noticed the machine
> was sluggish, and sure enough tor was using 99% cpu and dumping these
> messages to syslog:

You can check if your host has throttled/limited your total CPU usage.

I like this completely unscientific quick test that doesn't require
installing any extra software:

  dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 | md5sum

Should return 250-400 MB/sec on a modern CPU.

Check if you get significantly less. E.g. on one host I had about 80-100 MB
only, despite /proc/cpuinfo and the like all showing normal CPU frequencies,
so couldn't tell there was any throttling other than from testing.

--
With respect,
Roman