[tor-relays] Advice on configuring Obfsproxy3 transport?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sat Apr 6 13:10:30 UTC 2013

On 05.04.2013 17:31, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Attempting to get Obfsproxy3 to work.
>
> With Tor v0.2.4.11-alpha and Obfsproxy pulled from https://git.torproject.org/obfsproxy.git yesterday this is what I get at runtime:
>
> Apr 05 14:57:23.000 [warn] Server managed proxy encountered a method error. (obfs3 could not setup protocol)
> Apr 05 14:57:23.000 [warn] Managed proxy at '/usr/bin/obfsproxy' failed the configuration protocol and will be destroyed
>
> I have no problems with obfs2, but obfs3 success continues to elude me.

That obfsproxy.git still contains the old obfsproxy written in C that
does not (yet) have obfs3 support -- and maybe never will.

The new obfsproxy is written in Python and has obfs3 support. It was
called "pyobfsproxy" for quite some time to discriminate the two. It was
decided that it would confuse people less if there was just "a new
release of obfsproxy, now written in Python".
It sounds like a simple rename, but the transition involves a lot of
steps. That's also the reason why the current available instructions are
"outdated": We are sitting on newer instructions that work with
pyobfsproxy, but since pyobfsproxy is not yet available under the name
obfsproxy, the instructions are not published on the website yet.

For more details, see
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-March/004548.html
and some other threads on tor-dev.

--