[tor-relays] Min. Bandwidth for Bridge Relay?

cmeclax cmeclax-sazri at ixazon.dynip.com
Thu Sep 20 13:11:53 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 15:21:37 freeflow at mail.md wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have around 50-60 KB/s of bandwidth that I'd like to use for running
> a bridge relay.
>
> Is this a sufficient amount of bandwidth? I ask because it doesn't
> seem like very much compared to the amounts that others donate to the
> tor network.
>
> Tor documentation suggests as little as 20 KB/s can be used to run a
> tor relay but this seems to be a very low badwidth rate.
>
> From looking at the tor status web page via blutmagie.de it would seem
> that there some low bandwidth relays but are these really useful or too
> slow to be useful to the tor network?
>
> If someone can confirm that 50-60 KB/s for bridge relay is useful then
> I would go ahead & run my bridge relay.

How often does your IP address change? A bridge's address should change every
few weeks so that censors making lists of bridge addresses can't keep up with
it. My address changes once every few years (the last time was because someone
broke the cable digging up a pipe), so I run a middle relay. Don't run an exit
relay from a home connection; you'll be banned from editing Wikipedia, talking
on IRC, etc.

cmeclax