[tor-relays] Bridge relay: conversing with the message log

eliaz eliaz at tormail.org
Thu Sep 20 12:25:05 UTC 2012

I run a bridge relay on vista x64 through my ISP's router-modem
firewall.  I need some help in understanding a few lines in the message
log.  Replacing the name of machine on my LAN by <NAME> and the IP
addresses by <LAN address> and <ISP address> (= the bridge's address),
the lines are:

Sep 20 07:33:43.872 [Info] resolve_my_address(): Guessed local hostname
'<NAME>' resolves to a private IP address (<ISP address>).  Trying
something else.
Sep 20 07:33:43.872 [Info] resolve_my_address(): Interface IP address
'<LAN address>' is a private address too. Ignoring.
Sep 20 07:33:43.872 [Info] resolve_my_address(): Address '<NAME>'
resolves to private IP address '<LAN address>'. Tor servers that use the
default DirServers must have public IP addresses.
Sep 20 07:33:43.872 [Info] router_pick_published_address(): Could not
determine our address locally. Checking if directory headers provide any
hints.
Sep 20 07:33:43.872 [Info] router_pick_published_address(): Success:
chose address '<ISP address>'.

I don't know if these lines are telling me something about the bridge.
In particular, what does it mean that the <LAN address> is being
identified as private?  This doesn't change regardless of the setting on
my local LAN firewall to "public", "private", "domain" or "all".  Does
Tor mean by "private" simply the LAN address, and by "public" the ISP
address?

Despite these info lines Tor finally claims success.  Does this mean
that I can ignore the previous info lines?  Or are they telling me that
I have to do something?  As far as I can tell my bridge is working fine.
 Thanks, eli