[tor-relays] Tor Weather - Node Down

torhoste at tor.host-ed.me torhoste at tor.host-ed.me
Tue Sep 11 20:43:08 UTC 2012

Hi,

this is my very first post to this list. I operate tor exit relays
vks24784 and vks24949 and subscribed to Tor Weather Reports. Now, at Sun,
September 2, 2012 12:17 am and Thu, September 6, 2012 12:33 am, I received
"Node Down" Reports for either of the nodes, 1st report for vks24949, 2nd
for vks24784. That said, I noticed that these events reset the respective
uptime counters at Atlas web application to "zero" and the nodes would lose
the already earned stable, guard, named, etc. flags for a certain time
period.

The problem is that both nodes definitely were online to the best of my
knowledge (they are 24/7 actually), please see the official Atlas logs at
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/AAD948023527A6D33FAA96816E4B5F101A664BBD
and
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/B41CBB97CF4DCFF724F272F28FD3F0D683C2F1E1

I even checked the "uptime" through ssh and there hasn't been any reboots
occurring. Also, I'm wondering what actually would happen to guard,
stable, named, etc. flags if I'd actually need to reboot the nodes cause
of maintenance? I feel it unfortunate to lose these flags (also for the
Tor network itself(?)) and would like to ask:

1. What does Tor Weather consider a "Node Down" event?
2. How long does it take to regain the mentioned flags? I.e. does the node
start from scratch earning them (so to speak), i.e. does it take as long
as initially?

Last thing I'd like to ask in that context: Do these "Node Down" events
and/or needed maintenance reboots have any effect on a potential Tor
T-Shirt claim? I'd actually really like to make myself a communicative,
green Tor advertising column at some point in time ;-)

Thanks!