[tor-relays] [OT] ExcludeNodes no longer working

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Sep 11 20:24:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> It is nice to see you posting again, I had wondered where you had gone.
>
> Scott Bennett:
>>      I know this really belongs on tor-talk, but I haven't been subscribed
>> to it for a long time now.  Sorry if posting this here bothers anyone.
>

> Seems like a fine place to discuss relay problems, which is what it
> sounds like, no?

Maaybe!  The very best place would be the bugtracker, of course. (I do
seem to recall that you have some issues with trac -- I'm just
mentioning the bugtracker so that other people don't get the idea that
the mailing lists are the best place for bug reports.  But a bug
report on the mailing list is much much better than no bug report at
all.)

>>      Back in early July, I upgraded from 0.2.3.13-alpha to 0.2.3.18-rc.
>> I immediately ran into problems with a python script that honors the
>> http_proxy environment variable, which I normally have set to the localhost
>> port for privoxy, which, in turn, connects to tor's SOCKS port.  I couldn't
>> really see what was going wrong, but using arm to ask for a new identity
>> seemed to help sometimes to get a circuit that worked.  Sending tor a
>> SIGHUP instead also seemed to work about as often.
>
> If you use 0.2.2.x - what happens?

I'm not sure what the bug described here is, fwiw.  What is the
behavior for the circuits that don't work, and to what extent is
0.2.2.x better?

>>      A bit over a week ago, I switched to 0.2.3.20-rc, and the problem
>> still occurs.  However, 0.2.3.20-rc now also emits a new message from time
>> to time, the most recent occurrence of which is
>>
>> Sep 06 06:02:45.934 [notice] Low circuit success rate 7/21 for guard TORy0=753E0B5922E34BF98F0D21CC08EA7D1ADEEE2F6B.
>>

> That is an interesting message - I wonder if the author of that message
> might chime in?

Looks like bug #6475.

>> Wondering whether such circuit-building failures might be related to the
>> other problem, I began a little experiment:  each time I saw a "Low circuit
>> success rate" message, I added the key fingerprint of the node in question
>> to my ExcludeNodes list in torrc and sent tor a SIGHUP.
>>      The problem is still occurring, though, and when I look at the
>> circuits involved, they all seem to have at least one of the excluded
>> nodes in them, usually in the entry position.  So my question is, what
>> changed between 0.2.3.13-alpha and 0.2.3.18-rc (or possibly 0.2.3.20-rc)
>> in the handling of nodes listed in the ExcludeNodes line in torrc?  And
>> is there anything I can do to get the ExcludeNodes list to work again
>> the way it used to work?
>>      Thanks in advance for any relevant information.
>>

> It seems that there are two issues - one is that a guard is failing to
> build circuits, the other is that you can't seem to exclude them. I have
> to admit, I'm more interested in the former... Is there a pattern to the
> failures? That is for the 7 successes for that node, did you see
> anything interesting? Were say, the nodes that worked somehow in the
> same country as that guard? Or perhaps were the other failed circuits
> all seemingly unrelated to the guard?
>
> As far as the ExcludeNodes - did you set StrictNodes at the same time?
> Are you also a relay?

Any other configuration info would be helpful here too.

(To answer your question: looking through the changelogs, and the
commit logs for src/or/circuitbuild.c and src/or/routerlist.c, I can't
find anything that stands out to me as something that might cause an
ExcludeNodes regression.  So more investigation will be needed!)

--
Nick