[tor-relays] Current state of v0.2.3.x IPv6 bridges?

Aaron aagbsn at extc.org
Mon Sep 10 01:20:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net> wrote:
> I'm wondering about the benefit of running abridge on an IPv6 address.
>
> Since the big announcement last December that v0.2.3.9 supports IPv6 addresses for bridges, I've read a few comments to the affect that BridgDB doesn't understand IPv6 addresses.
>
> So... what is the state of publishing IPv6 bridge addresses?  Will clients requesting a bridge address ever be given an IPv6 address?  Can a client specifically request an IPv6 address (or IPv4 address, for that matter)?

Yep!

see: https://bridges.torproject.org/?ipv6=True
or email bridges at torproject.org with the keyword "ipv6" in the subject or body.

But...

Right now there aren't a lot of IPv6 bridges -- some were assigned to
the email distributor, and some were assigned to the https
distributor. The latter splits bridges into 5 groups, and depending on
your source IP address you may be lucky enough to get an IPv6 bridge
[1].

Meanwhile, we hand out a few IPv6 bridges to everyone who visits
https://bridges.torproject.org, and the link to query specifically for
IPv6 addresses isn't yet publicly displayed on bridges.torproject.org
to avoid confusion/support emails.

Once there are enough [2] IPv6 bridges, the above link will be on the
front page of https://bridges.torproject.org. See:
https://tor.extc.org for an example.

--Aaron

p.s. It's a similar situation with obfsproxy bridges; you can request
bridges with a specified transport via
https://bridges.torproject.org/?transport=TRANSPORT_NAME, e.g.
https://bridges.torproject.org/?transport=obfs2 or adding the keywords
"transport TRANSPORT_NAME" to the body or subject of an email to
bridges at torproject.org

[1] Try requesting bridges with TorBrowser -- the set of IP addresses
corresponding to Tor exits get IPv6 (and obfs2) bridges.

[2] Every IP group has at least one IPv6 bridge