[tor-relays] How to diagnose lack of traffic on bridge?

Aaron aagbsn at extc.org
Sat Oct 27 01:27:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net> wrote:

> On 10/26/2012 01:21 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:33:03 +0000, Steve Snyder wrote:
>>>
>>> How can I diagnose the failure of my bridge to garner any traffic?
>>

>> I assume you didn't set 'PublishServerDescriptor 0' in the tor.rc.
>

> This is the content of my torrc file (with ContactInfo removed):
>
> SocksPort 0
> ORPort 443
> BridgeRelay 1
> Exitpolicy reject *:*
>

>> Then the next step would be to check which pool the bridge ended up
>> in, like (replace 'name' with your bridge name):
>>
>> https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?search=name
>

> This is what I'm shown when I search for my bridge (fingerprint) at the URL
> you suggested:
>
> {"relays_published":"2012-10-26 22:00:00",
> "relays":[
> ],
> "bridges_published":"2012-10-26 21:37:04",
> "bridges":[
> ]}
>

>> Interesting part is the pool assignment (and whether it shows up at all).

If you're not seeing any traffic at all, it's likely that your bridge
was assigned to the "Unassigned" pool. This means that rather than
handing the bridge out via email or https distributors it gets
assigned to the "Bucket" distributor -- which basically writes a list
of bridges to a file that gets sent to a contact or twitter, etc.

It looks like we're not currently handing out bridges via this mechanism.
That sucks. I'll try to find out what went wrong and fix it.

Thanks for running a bridge! And thanks for drawing this to my attention.

--Aaron