[tor-relays] Need help: High capacity exit relay does not get traffic

tor-admin tor-admin at torland.me
Sun Oct 7 12:46:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am operating two 1 GBit/s servers which host 7 exit nodes. One server is
located in GB with

torland1
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/4E377F91D326552AAE818D5A17BC3EF79639C2CD

torland2
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/332895D092C2524A3CDE8F6E1498FFE665EBFC34

torland1 is configured to run at maximum bandwidth, torland2 runs trottled to
ensure not to exceed the 100TB contractual traffic limit. The nodes on this
server get traffic as expected and are at the top of the Blutmagie Tor Status
http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index.php?SR=Bandwidth&SO=Desc.

The second server is located in RO and hosts

torland3
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E5DB403858511BB166405E4C43776D933A7B86D6

torland4
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E0D2F8B2A18516A5C935477B06048D7BD2E7EC57

torland5
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/D2F1745C11843BC5AF09CB9D4027AD2BE5F1B20A

torland6
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/43F9022028F8AB0F7420F702CB079DF0CA0C80E3

The configuration for the GB and RO nodes is:

Nickname TorLandX
ORPort 443
DirPort 80
Address a.b.c.d
ORListenAddress  a.b.c.d
DirListenAddress a.b.c.d
OutboundBindAddress a.b.c.d

RelayBandwidthRate  30 MBytes  # max 30
RelayBandwidthBurst 100 MBytes  # max 100

MaxOnionsPending 250

NumCPUs 4

On both servers AES-NI is used by openssl.

Although the server in RO has the same configuration, same operating system
and a similar hardware, it does not get traffic as the server in GB. At the
moment Atlas shows for torland3-6 only an advertised bandwidth rate of less
the 3 MB/s. The GB node torland1 shows more than 30 MB/s.

In order to test if there are any traffic limits I did several speed tests by
doing up and downloads of a large 4GB iso image.

Downloading simultaneously with 10 curl instances from different debian
mirrors I measured around 1 GBit/s. To measure upload I stored the debian 4GB
iso image on the webserver of the RO server and used curl on the GB server to
download it from RO. The maximal measured upstream speed on the RO server was
around 750 Mbit/s. Therefore I looks for me as there are no traffic limits
inplace by my ISP or their upstream.

One of the servers operated by Torservers.net is located in the same data
center and runs wau, gorz and sofia at high speed.

I am wondering why the directory authorities only measure such a small
fraction of the available bandwidth for the RO nodes. Because I am paying
personally for the server I would like to get most out of the server. Can
someone who runs a tor authority please help me to understand what is the
reason for the low observed bandwidth.

Thanks,

Torland