[tor-relays] How to get client locale statistics without arm?

tor-admin tor-admin at torland.me
Thu Nov 29 21:57:01 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, 28. November 2012, 14:47:05 Damian Johnson wrote:
> Have you tried tweaking the query rate options in your armrc?
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/HEAD:/armrc.sample

No I have not yet tried this.

> > Switching to the connection panel lets arm often freeze. Is there
> > another way to get country statistics from a node? Maybe something build
> > in
> > Tor?
>
> You can query the locale for an address from tor via...
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/control-spec.txt#l671
>
> To simulate what arm does you could write a script that makes
> netstat/lsof/procstat queries, parse the results, then feed those
> addresses to the 'GETINFO ip-to-country/*' command. Actually, I could
> probably write a script for you that does this via stem
> (https://stem.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html)...

Doing netstat queries means that I get 80000+ ip addresses on my server. Each
of these addresses I would have to check against the list of relays to sort
out connections to other relays and only do GETINFO ip-to-country to the
remaining IPs. This sounds complicated and error-prone. Can't the ORCONN event
be used to get a notification if a client connects?

Thanks for your help

Torland