[tor-relays] How to get client locale statistics without arm?

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Nov 28 22:47:05 UTC 2012

> I would like to know from which countries my nodes are mostly used. I tried
> to use arm for this but on high capacity relays arm eats the same cpu
> resources as the tor process it monitors

Have you tried tweaking the query rate options in your armrc?

https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/HEAD:/armrc.sample

> Switching to the connection panel lets arm often freeze. Is there
> another way to get country statistics from a node? Maybe something build in
> Tor?

You can query the locale for an address from tor via...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/control-spec.txt#l671

To simulate what arm does you could write a script that makes
netstat/lsof/procstat queries, parse the results, then feed those
addresses to the 'GETINFO ip-to-country/*' command. Actually, I could
probably write a script for you that does this via stem
(https://stem.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html)...

Cheers! -Damian