[tor-relays] Setting up new Tor relay

Lance Hathaway qhltx at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 16:37:32 UTC 2012

I used a dash. Something to logically separate two parts of the nickname
without requiring a space, you know. Of course, had I not been
configuring it at close to midnight, I probably would have noticed that
the manual says it must be alphanumeric only. Because it's written down
as such in the manual, I'm not sure it can be properly classified as a bug.

The only really frustrating part was that nothing was written to the log
file. When I woke up the next morning and fiddled with it a bit more, I
realized that I could try running Tor through my local account and
reference the suspect torrc file. When I did, it happily printed out the
equivalent of "you didn't read the manual, dummy!" to stdout and quit
right back to the command line. That led me to fixing the problem
statement, and hence my the crashes.

I'd love to see Tor write all errors to the configured log file,
including errors with the torrc file. And if logging isn't configured or
is misconfigured, it might be appropriate to spit something into the
default logging for the system (Windows Events, /var/log/messages,
etc.). But for now, I'm willing to accept a resolution of "read the
fancy manual."

  -Lance