[tor-relays] case law on for exit nodes

Samuel Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue May 22 23:24:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 23:12 +0200, Rejo Zenger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Who knows about cases where the owner of Tor exit node was prosecuted or taken to court for information that was up- or downloaded using his/her Tor node? Basically, I'm looking for case law on running Tor exit-nodes. I am especially interested in case law from countries in Europe, but other examples are most welcome as well.

While I've never heard of anyone being indicted (in the US or EU) for
running an exit node, there have been many cases of equipment seizure
all over the world.

These might be of interest to you:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/08/why-ip-addresses-alone-dont-identify-criminals
http://toddsnotes.blogspot.com/2009/11/because-i-ran-tor-police-took-all-my.html