[tor-relays] too many abuse reports

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue May 22 20:17:20 UTC 2012

Thus spake mick (mbm at rlogin.net):

> On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:29:54 -0500
> Jon <torance.ca at gmail.com> allegedly wrote:
>
> > Yep same here, got notice today from ISP on a report of the 20th for
> > alledged hacking with someone using sqlmap. the reporting ip was a
> > brazilian gov ip address.
> >
> > I just blocked the port and kept on serving....

As of yet, no one has mentioned the port. Out of curiosity, is it
included in the Reduced Exit Policy?
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

Also, I think the right answer is a solution like
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorAbuseTemplates#SSHBruteforceAttempts
rather than blocking anything on the relay side.

> I assume you mean "IP address" rather than "port" here.
>
> Despite offering, I wasn't given the opportunity to do that.

Yeah, this sucks. But hey, if you're forced to be a middle relay, you
now have a lot of really super cheap options for bandwidth. You should
consider shopping around. Bandwidth litterally gets cheaper every year.

For example, last year, FDCservers was charging $600/mo for 1 Gbit
dedicated. This year, they now provide a 10 Gbit line for that price!

FDC doesn't allow exits either, but the falling price points tells me
you should seriously try to renegotiate price with your ISP (or just
move elsewhere) if they are degrading your service by forcing you into
non-exit.

Exit bandwidth is worth paying a premium for, because it does require
more resources at the ISPs end in terms of occasional abuse noise. You
could also try negotiating upwards if your ISP's prices are already
competitive with FDC's for middle service. Something tells me they're
not, though :).

--
Mike Perry