[tor-relays] sustained bandwidth drop through noisetor

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri May 4 00:22:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:09:30AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I opened https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5755 for a
> related topic that I think will help answer questions like this (or at
> least narrow out possible explanations).
[snip]
> In theory, if your capacity has stayed the same but your load has
> dropped, then the bandwidth authority measurements should show you as
> getting faster. I wonder what happened in practice. Last I checked, Mike
> didn't want to publish any intermediate statistics from the bandwidth
> authorities, because they were too voodooey.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/5755/consensus-weights-noiseexit01a.png

It looks like the weight assigned to your relay, as a fraction of total
weights, dropped in mid April.

So either there's even more capacity to go around (good outcome), or
Mike's bandwidth authority scripts decided you should get less attention
(not so good outcome).

Mike, perhaps you can look at the bwauth data files and take a guess?

--Roger