[tor-relays] hardware accel option in tor alpha

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Sat Mar 31 19:52:16 UTC 2012

On Mar 31, 2012, at 9:32 PM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use the "hardware accel" feature with the actual tor alpha
> version 0.2.3.12-alpha1. My CPUs support the Intel AES NI function
> and the kernel module is enabled and running well.
>
> Im running OpenSSL 1.0.1, the debian dev told me that there is
> no dynamic loadable aes ni shipped though its supporting th function.
> Im pretty confused about the options int the torrc right now.
>
> I have enabled "hardware accel" but did not define any dynamic
> loadable engine anymore because there is no one according to the
> debian dev and also the output from "openssl engine". The debug log
> does not show any enabled aes / evp functions what so ever.
>
> Im stuck right now, does anybody have some advice, woudl be
> awesome ;-) ?
>
> Thanks

the situation is indeed a bit confusing with openssl 1.0.1. Aesni
isn't a module anymore, so the hardware accel options no longer
apply. Tor master (not yet in any released version) automatically
makes use of aesni as supported by openssl 1.0.1, so either upgrade
to recent git or wait for the next release.

You'll then gain support automatically.

CC'ing Nick here to sanity-check my understanding, I haven't been
following development too much in the past few days :/