[tor-relays] Questions about exit enclaves

Jef Heri jefheri1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 14:18:35 UTC 2012

Hello list,

I hope this is the correct list to send these questions, if not I apologize and please tell me where I should send this message.

I want to setup a Tor node to run as a exit enclave for a web site (WordPress) and message board (vBulletin). However, I have found little documentation on how to accomplish this on a remote server, e.g. https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ExitEnclave . Is there a more throughout document/manual for exit enclaves?

Is it correct that a exit enclave will act as a 'normal' exit node, as well as the exit enclave for its IP address (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/800)? If so, is it possible to block exit to any IP other than the node's own IP via torrc file? If not, maybe I could only allow exists to white-list IPs, such as Tor Project web site IP, EFF IP, and etc?

I believe someone who sends messages to tor-talk maintains a hardened (OS(?) and) Tor, meant to be run as a node only, from remote server space. Does anyone have a link for that software? I looked at the Tor web site but I didn't find information. I am thinking about using that software as the exit enclave.

Lastly, is it possible (and smart - re anonymity and resources) to use the exit enclave to offer hidden service address?

Thanks!