[tor-relays] Guidance on 0.2.2-to-0.2.3 migration?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Sat Jun 30 03:10:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net> wrote:
> Attention Tor developers:
>
> Now that v0.2.3 is at Release Candidate status, can we get get some guidance
> for those relay operators that have not kept up with development?

Hoo boy! That's a big topic. I'm not going to try to do a full summary
here, since I'm assuming you want a timely answer more than a complete
answer.  (The complete answer is in the ChangeLogs; a useful summary
will probably come in the form of release notes.)

> What changes can/should be made to a working v0.2.2 torrc for best 0.2.3
> operation?

The preferred way to use ORPort and ORListenAddress together has
changed slightly, but the old syntax should still work just fine.  I
believe that all previous valid configurations should still work;
please correct me if I'm wrong.

> What are the major changes (SMP? IPv6? memory/CPU requirements?) that should
> be considered when establishing a new relay?

I don't think the relay requirements should be significantly changed;
CPU should be slightly lower for equivalent bandwidth assuming a
recent OpenSSL, especially if you have a CPU that supports aesni.  SMP
and IPv6 hacks will probably happen in 0.2.4.x, time and development
energy permitting

--
Nick