[tor-relays] Tor Network Map advertising available B/W way too low

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jun 14 04:46:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 06:39:42PM -1000, Name Withheld wrote:
> I just set up an exit node (PrivacyFoundation on the list), and while I've
> got 5mbps up, it only advertises as 80-90kb b/w available.  That's not at
> all accurate, and I think it's meaning the connection is ending up way
> underutilized, since I'm not seeing much traffic on the b/w graph.
>
> How do I change the advertised b/w?

"Leave it running" is the best answer. Relays start out with small
numbers in the consensus, and the directory authorities measure them
and advertise larger numbers for faster more reliable relays.

I notice that PrivacyFoundation was hibernating (unavailable) recently.
That will hinder its bandwidth growth.

--Roger