[tor-relays] running first Relay, low budget VPS on a Gigabit line

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Jun 12 23:10:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 03:52:08PM -0700, tim wrote:

> vnstat runs on my homebox but had strange effects on the vps. After
> starting the tor deamon some megabytes got counted. But then stoped
> counting all further traffic until vnstat -u, then counted again only
> some megabytes.  Just reinstalled vnstat today and now it seems to work
> pretty well.

That's normal for vnstat.  A typical installation will add a 'vnstat -u'
entry to cron.

> The relay is limited to 1-2Mbyte/s now, lets see how long it stays. Am I
> going over my allowance or is somebody elso going over her/his
> allowance? They sell anonymous vservers for 5 bucks. Who cares? What if
> on my vacations someone gets access and makes 180 TB for a month?
> The question was more likely: Should i care? I don't care for the
> server, don't need it anymore.

As a matter of principle, I should think one should care.  $5 or not,
you're potentially negatively impacting other users on your network. I'd
hope the provider has a handle on that though ... In any case it sounds
like you had at least a gentleman's agreement for 50GB per month and IMHO,
people should honor such things.

-ta