[tor-relays] running first Relay, low budget VPS on a Gigabit line

tim apteddy at ftml.net
Tue Jun 12 22:52:08 UTC 2012

--
  tim
  apteddy at ftml.net

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012, at 08:21 PM, mick wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:12:30 +0200
> Rejo Zenger <rejo at zenger.nl> allegedly wrote:
>
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > > Today iftop shows the VPS puts 35 MByte/s in both directions
> > > through the line. *Phew*
> > > The hosting plan includes 50GB per month so I'm a bit over the fair
> > > use.
> >
> > > What would you do? Let it run? throttle down? do no harm?
> >
> > Check the comments and variables in the configuration file. The ones
> > you are looking for are:
> >
> > RelayBandwidthRate
> > RelayBandwidthBurst
> > AccountingMax
> > AccountingStart
> >
> > > Any suggestions how to measure the traffic would be appreciated,
> > > must be roughly 12 TB the last 2 days.
> >
> > There are a number of approaches. I am running vnstat for this
> > purpose.
> >

> Plus one for vnstat from me.
>
> And you /really/ want to throttle your node if you are going that much
> over your allowance.
>
> Mick

Hi Rejo and Mick,

vnstat runs on my homebox but had strange effects on the vps. After
starting the tor deamon some megabytes got counted. But then stoped
counting all further traffic until vnstat -u, then counted again only
some megabytes.
Just reinstalled vnstat today and now it seems to work pretty well.

The relay is limited to 1-2Mbyte/s now, lets see how long it stays. Am I
going over my allowance or is somebody elso going over her/his
allowance? They sell anonymous vservers for 5 bucks. Who cares? What if
on my vacations someone gets access and makes 180 TB for a month?
The question was more likely: Should i care? I don't care for the
server, don't need it anymore.

One could think:
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-or-
Thanks for the contribution whoever it was.

tim

                          wherever you are