[tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jul 31 23:08:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 06:32:30PM +0200, Julian Wissmann wrote:
> we've got an offer for 10GBit
>unmetered at 750?, which is kind of sweet spot performance/buck wise and I
>guess, that it could handle 8-12 Tor nodes performance wise to satisfy
>the pipe. It would be a large number of high performance nodes run by just
>one operator, though, so I'm unsure if it really is that great idea :-(

I think 10gbit is too big for the current Tor network.

The total bandwidth of the network is something like 24gbit currently:
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#bandwidth
and it's more like 10gbit if you just count exits.

So it makes sense to get a bunch of 1gbit spots (to offset the couple
of 1gbit spots we have already), but I think 10gbit would make things
too uneven at this point.

--Roger