[tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jul 31 22:11:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 01:50:20PM -0700, Mike Perry wrote:

> > > There exists THE list for hackerspaces? Well hot damn. Are these them:
> > >
> > In most countries there is a foundation covering multiple hackerspaces,
> > these are usually where you'd want to start. If you need some more contacts
> > in the Benelux and UK area, I can lend a hand.
>
> Good suggestion. I do generally agree that hackerspaces are a great
> untapped potential for running more Tor nodes. It is definitely
> something that should be explored. Not sure who (if anyone) is tasked
> with driving this whole exit sponsoring initiative yet, though.
>
> I also like the idea of favoring larger, better organized hackerspaces
> that are more likely to be able to continue to manage their exits over
> the long term.

I think getting hackerspaces involved is a great idea. If any of you
know any, or are involved in the broader hackerspace lists, please let
them know about this thread and help them get involved! The more the
merrier at this point.

(I think Andy's "you probably shouldn't run your exit relay on your
hackerspace's only network connection, in case your ISP unplugs it for
a while" point is a good one to keep in mind too.)

Thanks,
--Roger