[tor-relays] task-6329 / tor relays stats patch

Michael Zeltner m at niij.org
Sat Jul 28 19:30:06 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Karsten Loesing's message of 2012-07-23 08:59:20 +0200:
> I'm cc'ing tor-relays for the discussion here, because I figured if
> you're okay with sharing the patch, you're probably also okay with a
> public discussion of it. :)

Indeed!

> Thanks for sending the patch!  Most of it looks good, but I took out the
> --family-for-fp option which, I think, isn't entirely correct.  This
> option looks for relays having the given fingerprint in their family
> line, but it doesn't cross-check if the given relay has those relays in
> its family line, too.  The option also doesn't look at nicknames (of
> relays with the Named flag) in family lines, which means it might miss
> some family members.

Yes, I noticed the first bit as well, and have since better understood how
families work - the attached patch should fix that. It looks for mutually
listed relays via both fingerprints and nicknames (in case the relays have the
named flag).

I hope I nailed it this time round.

> Oh, and it would be really cool to have a -F or
> --by-family option to aggregate by families.

Yeah, I'd like that too. I haven't worked on grouping yet but I'll look into it
soon.

> I wonder if we should do
> the whole family-calculating business inside Onionoo and add a
> family_number field which has the same number for relays in the same
> family.  The script could then look up the family number of the given
> relay and display all relays with that family number.  Would that make
> sense?  Want to extend the script once Onionoo has such a field?

It'd certainly make it quicker to filter out the relays one wants to take a
closer look at - if one is interested in the impact of families. And sure. It'd
certainly make the grouping business easier because there's a family-uid one
can easily group by :)

Best, Michael
--
http://niij.org/