[tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:13:53 UTC 2012

Roger Dingledine:
> - Should we prefer big collectives like torservers, noisetor, CCC,
> dfri.se, and riseup (which can get great bulk rates on bandwidth and are
> big enough to have relationships with local lawyers and ISPs), or should
> we prefer individuals since they maximize our operator diversity? I think
> "explore both approaches" is a fine first plan.

You should explore both approaches, but expect that individuals that
haven't run an exit before - but are willing to do so - could require
more support.

I could imagine that interested people would be concerned about abuse
complaints. Finding an reasonable ISP is another problem. I'm quite
confident that the Tor community would assist, but don't know how it
could be organized.

> - Does the overall Tor network change legal categories in some
> country,
> e.g. becoming a telecommunications service when it wasn't before?

I wonder what would happen when Tor had "official abuse devisions",
where some people care about the abuse complaints the Tor network
"produces". Compared to "TelcoUK" and "TelcoUS" where each "Telco"
reacts to abuse complaints. Could that make Tor a telecommunications
service?

Everything else has mostly said, I guess.

Regards,
Sebastian