[tor-relays] High speed Relays/Exit nodes

Julian Wissmann juwi at da0s0a.de
Thu Jul 26 12:00:49 UTC 2012

> Dennis Ljungmark:
>> Hi,
>>  We're currently running 6 different 100-200Mbit relay/guard nodes, and
>> are looking at some issues moving on towards high performant exit nodes.
>>
>>  There are some administrative issues ( needing another IP block due to
>> the RIPE registration, our ISP doesn't want their name on the exit nodes
>> that we are responsible for )
>> which are generally minor ( are being resolved anyhow ) and then the big
>> stumbling block.
>>
>> Right now, with iptables modifications ( raw tables hacks to disable
>> conntrack, bucket increases, following the general best practices ) our
>> firewall is running at high amounts of CPU, but coping.  However, once we
>> start introducing Exit Nodes into this equation, things turn sour.
>>
>> So, since we do not want to trust only routing level separation between
>> Exit Nodes and internal networks, we're going to have to invest into new
>> hardware that can cope with this.  Before this, we tried Ingate firewalls,
>> and they weren't capable of coping with the load of guard nodes.
>>
>>  ( The traditional "linux box in front" doesn't quite cut it due to
>> networking hardware in most cases. )
>>
>> So,
>>  in summary,  when you get to the point of actively dealing with 8-900Mbps
>> of Tor traffic ( on top of normal users and others) what hardware is needed
>> to cope with firewalling?
>>

> Hey Dennis,
>
> What hardware are you using? In general iptables/netfilter should be
> able to handle more than 200Mb without any trouble at all.
>
> I wonder if your network card is an issue? What CPUs are you using? What
> versions of OpenSSL and other relevant software are in use?
>
> All the best,
> Jacob

Also tweaking a few sysctls and playing around with txqueuelen will help.
See https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server. I'll add some more stuff to the high bandwidth part of that page in a minute, also. I've done some more tweaking towards gbit that certainly helped, which I haven't documented yet.

Julian