[tor-relays] Script to get top relays, AS and countries weights

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jul 15 08:26:14 UTC 2012

Hi delber,

On 7/14/12 3:22 PM, delber wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:10:42PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Yes, we should put this script in a Git repository.  How about we put it
>> in metrics-tasks.git for now?  The script is related to #6329, so we
>> could create a new directory task-6329/ and put the script and a README
>> in there.  I can do that, or you can clone metrics-tasks.git, make a
>> commit, and tell me from where to pull.
>
> Please pull from <git://repo.or.cz/tor-metrics-tasks/delber.git>.

Merged.  Thanks!

>> I'd like to add a link to the script to Onionoo's project page as an
>> example for useful applications using its data.  Do you mind if I do that?
>
> Not at all! :)

Great, will do!

>> Here are two suggestions for tweaking the script a bit:
>>
>>  - Would it make sense to add a COUNT parameter to all outputs with a
>> default of, say, 10?  Also, should results be sorted in descending
>> order?  I guess most people are interested in countries/ASes/relays that
>> are picked by clients most often.  Maybe the "top" option should then be
>> renamed to "relays" when all options have a COUNT parameter.
>>
>>  - Instead of downloading the full /details file, you could use this
>> link: https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?type=relay&running=true.
>> You're only interested in running relays anyway, and this cuts down the
>> download from 5.8M to 2.8M.  Maybe add the curl command to the usage
>> output, too, for the lazy people who don't open source files.
>
> Sound suggestions. All implemented.

Thanks for implementing those changes!

I played around with the script and made a few more changes here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/karsten/metrics-tasks.git/commitdiff/dd6329a

I didn't merge these changes into the official metrics-tasks.git yet,
because I'd like to hear from you first if you like them.  Also, lacking
proper Python skills, some of the changes seem like a hack to me.  If
you like the changes, maybe you can turn the new code into real Python
code, and I'll merge the result?

Thanks!
Karsten