[tor-relays] How many PK operations does a typical home-run relay or bridge do in 24 hours?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sun Jul 15 01:15:43 UTC 2012

Thus spake Karsten Loesing (karsten at torproject.org):

> At the Florence hackfest I was asked for the typical number of RSA
> operations performed by a relay or bridge, say, per day.  We're mostly
> interested in home-run relays and bridges on DSL lines and similar,
> because that's where Torouter devices will be deployed, too.  So,
> Amunet and TorServers are out here. :)

Dude, if crypto acceleration works out on these things, 8 of them shoved
in a 1U space might be cheaper to deploy than a beefy 8-core 1U machine.
Of course, most sane datacenters might consider this a fire hazard,
unless we can create some sort of safe racking harness for them...

> Tor has a built-in feature to count PK operations.  If one sends a
> USR1 signal to the tor process, it writes a line like this to its log
> file (though this line comes from a client):
>
> Jul 10 18:31:22.904 [info] PK operations: 0 directory objects signed,
> 0 directory objects verified, 0 routerdescs signed, 2968 routerdescs
> verified, 216 onionskins encrypted, 0 onionskins decrypted, 30
> client-side TLS handshakes, 0 server-side TLS handshakes, 0 rendezvous
> client operations, 0 rendezvous middle operations, 0 rendezvous server
> operations.
>
> Of course, if someone has more thoughts on measuring how many PK ops a
> relay or bridge does, please say so! :)

What does the log line mean? It looks like these are counts since
startup? I assume your plan is to divide by the total uptime of the
relay?

Does SIGHUP clear them? Can they get cleared in other sitations?

--
Mike Perry