[tor-relays] Script to get top relays, AS and countries weights

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Jul 13 10:10:42 UTC 2012

On 7/12/12 11:24 AM, delber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Attached is a pretty simple Python script to compute some statistics
> about relays. Here's the doc:
>
> [...]
>
> Maybe it has flaws. Maybe it should land in some Git repository. I just
> felt it might be of interest to other folks. Feel free to comment and
> hack.

Nice work!

Yes, we should put this script in a Git repository.  How about we put it
in metrics-tasks.git for now?  The script is related to #6329, so we
could create a new directory task-6329/ and put the script and a README
in there.  I can do that, or you can clone metrics-tasks.git, make a
commit, and tell me from where to pull.  Once we're happy with the kind
of output, we can add the code to Atlas and put it in its Git repo.

I'd like to add a link to the script to Onionoo's project page as an
example for useful applications using its data.  Do you mind if I do that?

Here are two suggestions for tweaking the script a bit:

 - Would it make sense to add a COUNT parameter to all outputs with a
default of, say, 10?  Also, should results be sorted in descending
order?  I guess most people are interested in countries/ASes/relays that
are picked by clients most often.  Maybe the "top" option should then be
renamed to "relays" when all options have a COUNT parameter.

 - Instead of downloading the full /details file, you could use this
link: https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?type=relay&running=true.
You're only interested in running relays anyway, and this cuts down the
download from 5.8M to 2.8M.  Maybe add the curl command to the usage
output, too, for the lazy people who don't open source files.

Again, looks really good.  Thanks for hacking on this! :)

Best,
Karsten