[tor-relays] How to Run Torservers.net

Jon torance.ca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:51:22 UTC 2012

 First of all, thanks Moritz for beginning the thread and the info you
passed on. It has given me some good info.  :)

In my case, I have been running a full exit relay now for just over 2 1/2
years. When I first began, I would get reports from my ISP about abuses.
They just called me on the phone and told me about it. I asked them what
port it was and specifically what the problem issue was. They advised they
had several reports about copyright infringement issues on music and a
couple on movies. I took the info and and blocked that specific port.

That solved the problem. I went several months before I got called again
for the same thing, but from a different complainer. I did again block the
new port and everything was solved. I went for over a year with out any
complaints and this year got called again. It was about my IP addy doing
some mass mailing spam. I advised them ( my ISP ) that I did not do this. I
asked what port was used and who the complaint came from. I was told both
and I resolved that issue after we hung up.

In all of my complaints, it was done by phone from my ISP, and I was able
to put a fix right away. From reading other Tor Op's reports about the
complaints, I had expeted more and was worried how I was going to handle
it. I have been greatly surprised that it has been as few as it is.

In my case I would say no more than total of 10-15 complaints in 2 1/2
years in running a full exit relay.

Jon