[tor-relays] Tor Deprecation Notice

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Fri Jan 20 11:44:27 UTC 2012

On Jan 20, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:

> Am Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:07:39 -0800
> schrieb Damian Johnson <atagar1 at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Damian,
>
>> Hi all. As per ticket 4788 [1] we'll soon be removing relays that are
>> out of date and no longer safe to run, which includes anything older
>> than version 0.2.1.30. When I last checked this included 257 relays
>> [2] and I've already notified the 107 of those that had contact
>> information available.
>
> Do you mind me asking why exactly do we keep 0.2.1x around, even the
> actual debian stable distri has already 0.2.35x included. That version
> is so old that it really creeps me out.

There's still debian oldstable. Once that dies, 0.2.1.x is dead.

> Shouldn't it be a general policy to keep at least just systems around
> with the actual stable version from the tor website ?

I don't understand what you mean here

> The metrics stats are also showing that 0.2.1x is barely existing
> anymore, just dump em. Why exactly is 0.2.0x still listed there ?

close to 400 is a lot more than "barely existing". Also note that this
shows nothing about the bandwidth distribution, which is really the
important thing here. Maybe we can get a graph from Karsten for
provided bw / version?