[tor-relays] logging failure in 0.2.3.10-alpha

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Jan 19 13:17:34 UTC 2012

     I delayed moving from 0.2.3.7-alpha to 0.2.3.10-alpha until now because
the latter failed to build from source under FreeBSD 7.4-STABLE.  Oddly enough,
now that I've upgraded to 8.2-STABLE, it appears to build just fine.  So I
ran a tor --verify-config on my existing torrc file, which was confirmed to
be okay by 0.2.3.10-alpha.  Next, I fired it up, and...no log files were
created, :-( so I had no idea whether it was working, had encountered any
difficulties during initialization, etc.  It should have created two log files
in /var/log/tor/, one for "notice" and above, and one for "info" and above.
I tried a SIGHUP to get it to reread torrc, which made no observable change,
as expected.  After pondering the situation for a few minutes, I decided to
shut it down.  If tor can't communicate to its operator, then it can't be
safely run.
     If anyone can feed me a clue about what to try in hopes of fixing this,
I'd greatly appreciate it.  If there are no helpful ideas forthcoming by this
evening, I'll likely go back to 0.2.3.7-alpha in order to have a working node.
     Thanks much.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG