[tor-relays] not specified families

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 23:28:16 UTC 2012

> Malicious relays trying to de-anonimize people are not going to use
> MyFamily for obvious reasons, and also they will not choose an obvious
> nick sequence like MetallicaFan1, MetallicaFan2,etc
> So it seems to me this option has only theoretical benefit, but in
> practice it's naive.
True, but in theory you also have to consider that nodes could get
compromised and then it is very likely that a whole family is affected
(may be too paranoid for some).

I also wonder if it gets harder to identify a real threat, of a
malicious attacker operating many nodes, if there are so many other
cases of not-specified families.

The "MetallicaFan1, MetallicaFan2,.." nodes might not be a problem,
because no one with a malicious attempt would name nodes like that.
But they are an indication, that there might be a bunch of other
nodes, without any such strong sings, but which are also operated by
one single individual. Because obviously, it's a very common mistake
in configuration.

There might be feasible techniques to find suspicious groups of
relays, but with all this non specified families, this would be rather
pointless.

aurel

aurel