[tor-relays] not specified families

Javier Bassi javierbassi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:39:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Aurel W. <aurel.w at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't this be treated more seriously? There are literally over 100
> high bandwidth relays, which should specify a family but which don't.
> If you monitor a client, it is very frequently that circuits are built
> where two relays are clearly controlled by the same person.
>
> As a first try I mailed to two contact email addresses, but I haven't
> got any response.

In the end its the same. Relay operators who are willing to place
MyFamily in their torrc file are not the ones that are going to try to
identify you.
Malicious relays trying to de-anonimize people are not going to use
MyFamily for obvious reasons, and also they will not choose an obvious
nick sequence like MetallicaFan1, MetallicaFan2,etc
So it seems to me this option has only theoretical benefit, but in
practice it's naive.
Or maybe I'm missing something