[tor-relays] Relay vs. bridge: difference in traffic?

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Fri Jan 6 04:39:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:21:44 -0500
Steve Snyder <swsnyder at snydernet.net> wrote:

> Can someone tell how being a bridge compares to being a regular exit
> node in terms of traffic?

The difference is vast. Exit nodes will use all configured bandwidth.
Bridges, depending how many users you attract, are more variable in
usage.

My exit node would use up all 2TB of traffic every month without fail.
My bridge will vary between 0 and 1 mbps usage depending on time of
day and country of origin of the users.  My bridge dedicated to Tunisia
was generally doing 500 kbps on average. Now that tunisia has nearly
zero filtering, no one uses my bridge anymore.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact