[tor-relays] not specified families

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Fri Jan 6 03:27:46 UTC 2012

No, there no reason to set MyFamily when you only admin a single node.

That said, I just followed the link you referenced, and it leaves my
scratching head a little.  The description of NodeFamily is:

"The Tor servers, defined by their identity fingerprints or nicknames,
constitute a "family" of similar or co-administered servers, so never
use any two of them in the same circuit. Defining a NodeFamily is only
needed when a server doesn’t list the family itself (with MyFamily).
This option can be used multiple times."

What?  Suppose I operate 3 nodes.  I could specify

MyFamily
$00000000000000000000000000000000,$111111111111111111111111111111,$22222222222222222222222222222222

The doc says:

   NodeFamily node,node,…

   MyFamily node,node,…

So how would a NodeFamily declaration differ from the 3-node MyFamily
example above?