[tor-relays] Can bridge run in tiny VPS

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Tue Feb 14 11:40:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:46:22 +0100
krugar <tor-admin at krugar.de> allegedly wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 02:42 AM, tor-relays at nickcoleman.org wrote:
> > Bandwidth is 500GB up and down per month.   Tor can have half of
> > this (note the up *and* down).
> >

> excerpt of config from my torrc (running 0.2.2.35):
>
> RelayBandwidthRate  150 KBytes
> RelayBandwidthBurst 300 KBytes
> ExitPolicy reject *:*
>
> traffic stats from my hoster for 01/2012:
>
> 222.78 GB IN / 225.37 GB OUT / 448.14 GB TOTAL

Also useful to add accounting limits if you wish to restrict overall
usage within a particular period. For example, I have about 750 GB pcm
to donate to Tor. I manage to stay within this by setting a daily
accounting limit as below:

AccountingStart day 18:00
AccountingMax 13 GB

Note that the AccountingMax figure is /each way/ so we need to double
this to 26 GB to see what the actual maximum traffic will be
restricted to.

As the manual page explains, it is better to have a collection of fast
servers which are up most of the time rather than a host of slow
servers which are always up.

And you (Nick) might want to consider getting a VPS to dedicate to
Tor. They are pretty cheap these days. But if you can't do this, then
donate a sum (say $5 a month) to the tor project who will use it to
provide additional bandwidth.

Every little helps.

Mick

blog: baldric.net
fingerprint: E8D2 8882 F7AE DEB7 B2AA 9407 B9EA 82CC 1092 7423