[tor-relays] Can bridge run in tiny VPS

tor-relays at nickcoleman.org tor-relays at nickcoleman.org
Tue Feb 14 01:42:33 UTC 2012

After reading on Hacker News about Tor's request for bridges for Syria
and Iran,  I thought perhaps I could use my el-cheapo VPS for this.
I use it to run an anonymous forwarding proxy for my own use.  It gets
very little use, so I can do without the proxy for a few months.

Mem is limited to 128MB, with bursts to 256MB.

Bandwidth is 500GB up and down per month.   Tor can have half of this
(note the up *and* down).

The caveat is that, because it is a dirt cheap VPS, I don't get a
warning about any violation of the TOS.  If I go outside the
guidelines, they cancel my account.  So I need to be fairly certain,
or somehow limit Tor, that its memory use in normal circumstances
will not exceed ~100MB.

Is it feasible to run a bridge within these limits?  If so, any
suggestions on config options welcome.

thanks,
Nick