[tor-relays] reg : problem using the OPAddon script from the torflow package

Sambuddho Chakravarty sc2516 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 2 22:51:49 UTC 2012

Hi All
 I am trying to use the OPAddon script to measure circuit bandwidth. I use
the following input configuration for pathrc input configuration:

[GENERAL]
# Set the host and port where Tor is
# listening for control-connections
control_host = 127.0.0.1
control_port = 9051

[CIRC_MANAGEMENT]

# Size of the maintained pool of circuits
idle_circuits = 3

# TODO: Configure ports to use

[NODE_SELECTION]
# Number of hops to be used in paths and
# a minimum-value for advertised bandwidth
pathlen = 3
min_bw = 1024

# Percentiles
percent_fast = 100
percent_skip = 0
use_all_exits = yes

# UniformGenerator with optionally ordered exits,
# 'uniform = no' --> bandwidth-weighted selection
uniform = no
order_exits = no

# Make use of guard-nodes (yes|no) or a specific
# exit node (nickname or IDHex) for every path
use_guards = yes
#use_exit = xyz

[GEOIP]
# Use GeoIP

use_geoip = no

# yes|no for unique|equal country codes
# ! comment out to don't care
unique_countries = no

# Maximum number of continent crossings: 0-n
# ! comment out to enforce distinct continents
# ! set >= pathlen to not care about
#max_continent_crossings = 2
# Maximum number of ocean crossings: 0-n
# ! comment out to don't care
#max_ocean_crossings = 1

# If echelon is set, OP-Addon will try to find an
# exit in the destination country of the current
# request (exit_country may be used as backup)
# yes|no
# TODO: echelon = yes

# Set country codes for single positions
#entry_country = DE
#middle_country = RU
#exit_country = US

# TODO: excludes = [".."]

[RTT]
# Frequently ping the latencies of complete circuits
# yes|no
ping_circs = no

# Tor socks-properties
socks_host = 127.0.0.1
socks_port = 9050
ping_dummy_host = 127.0.0.1
ping_dummy_port = 100

# Time interval to wait before triggering
# pings and frequency of pings in seconds (float)
initial_interval = 10
frequency = 5

# Close a circuit after n timeouts on measurings
# Set to 0 to never close circs (int)
timeout_limit = 1

[MODEL]
# Set to 'yes' to measure latencies of single links
# and enable circuit creation from the model
# yes|no
network_model = no

# Min ratio of circs created with the backup-method,
# controls growing of the model (float in [0,1])
#   0:  no growing
#   1:  growing only
min_ratio = 0.5
# RTT-threshhold in seconds when creating circs (float):
#   0:  no threshhold, choose from all proposals
max_rtt = 0
# Minimum number of proposals to choose from (int)
min_proposals = 100

[EVALUATE]
# Evaluation mode: close every circuit after measuring performance
# yes|no
evaluate = yes

# Number of latency-tests per circuit (int: 0-n)
num_rtt_tests = 1
# Number of bandwidth-tests per circuit (int:0 or 1)
# Requires stream-server.pl listening on the same host
num_bw_tests = 1

# Total amount of circuits to test (int)
num_records = 5

I run op-addon.py with the above config and it terminates throwing the
following error pointing to PathSupport.py.

WARN[Thu Feb 02 17:45:58 2012]:No event for: 650 STREAM 76 CLOSED 47
128.59.16.165:8041 REASON=DONE
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<home directory>/torflow.saved/torflow-3c0dd74/TorCtl/TorCtl.py",
line 712, in _eventLoop
    self._handleFn(timestamp, reply)
  File "<home directory>/torflow.saved/torflow-3c0dd74/TorCtl/TorCtl.py",
line 1337, in _handle1
    self._map1.get(event.event_name, self.unknown_event)(event)
  File "./op-addon.py", line 853, in stream_status_event
    return self.handle_bw_test(s)
  File "./op-addon.py", line 823, in handle_bw_test
    lifespan = stream.lifespan(stream.bw_timestamp)
  File "<home
directory>/torflow.saved/torflow-3c0dd74/TorCtl/PathSupport.py", line 1326,
in lifespan
    return now-self.attached_at
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'NoneType' and 'float'
NOTICE[Thu Feb 02 17:45:58 2012]:Tor closed control connection. Exiting
event thread.
Terminated

I am not sure how to resolve this ... I am not sure if I am doing something
wrong or not...

Thanks
Sambuddho